So my roommate is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME and found this nut free dessert that I've totally fallen in love with! Avocado is my favorite - and what better to pair it with than some dark chocolate?!
Very simple recipe and doesn't take much time! The hard part is being patient and waiting for them to harden in the refrigerator :)
1 cup chocolate chips (solid)
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
Optional: something to roll the truffles in - we used shredded coconut flakes but you could use something like mini chocolate chips or some finely chopped nuts
For the chocolate chips we used Ghiradelli 60% cacao dark chocolate baking chips but you could definitely use a darker or milk chocolate depending on how you prefer your chocolate (the darker the chocolate the better for you!) Organic is ALWAYS the best option when shopping for ingredients as well.
1. Mix the avocado in a bowl with a hand mixer (using a blender did not work out so well) - try to get out all of the chunks that you can
2. Melt the cup of chocolate chips preferably on the stove on a low heat (try to avoid using the microwave)
3. Pour the completely melted chocolate chips into the bowl of mixed avocado
4. Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla . Blend all ingredients together with a wooden spoon or spatula
5. Let sit in the refrigerator until hardened (I'd say at least 45 minutes to an hour... original recipe said 2-3 hours but it seemed to work out just fine for us)
6. Remove from refrigerator and roll into bite size balls. Roll ball around in choice of finely shredded coconut/mini choc chips/chopped nuts and place in some sort container or on a plate
7. Return to refrigerator for at least 20-30 minutes and ENJOY!
I made this recipe x4 by the way (4 avocados, 4 cups chocolate, and 2 teaspoons of vanilla). I can't get enough of them.
Dark chocolate has some great benefits for our health (when consumed in moderation of course). Check out this article to learn a little more.